Fanari Formaggi is located a few kilometers from San Nicolò d’Arcidano. The production plant is surrounded by pastures and cultivated land; in the background, looking westward, are the imposing rocky crests of Mount Linas. Beyond the 1,200-meter-high mountain lie the pristine beaches of the Costa Verde.
In this area the animals that produce the milk necessary for the creation of our cheeses graze freely. It is because of the different types of terrain that our cheeses acquire the flavors and aromas that make them unmistakable: in the plains, in the mountains, and in contact with the sea.
It is easy to understand that sheep left to graze in land close to the sea produce a saltier milk, and that the goats used to climbing the impervious rocky ridges give milk with a stronger flavor.
In any case, the secret of the taste of our cheeses lies in the absolute quality of the raw material, which is of a nature that knows no pollution or manipulation by man.
The area of San Nicolò d’Arcidano has a very long history that has its roots in the Nuragic period. Of that distant era there are still the remains of seven nuraghi that testify the large population of these lands in very early epochs.
The most important Nuragic settlement is Peppi Tzappus, of which unfortunately no visible traces remain. We only know that it was an impressive multi-tower nuraghe located in the Is codinas region.
Other nuraghi were incorporated into the village, and others served as the base for other structures built in later periods such as the church.
In Roman times the area was still inhabited and at least three archaeological sites remain. Some funeral urns dating back to this period were reused by peasants as vessels for the fermentation of grapes.
These ancient settlements were probably individual Roman villas which were assigned, along with vast areas of arable land, to the military as compensation for the services rendered during the stay in the army.
During the Giudicale period this area belonged to the Parte Montis region and was part of the Bonorcili curatoria.
Probably before 1300, there were two small villages Architano Magno and Architano Parvo.
The following centuries were characterized by the continuous incursions of barbarian pirates who infested the territories to obtain both riches, and slaves to be deported to their lands. There was extensive looting, and entire villages were destroyed and burned.
The last reconstruction took place around 1660, as is confirmed by the notes found in the parish registers. Later there were several reconstructions and renovations that explain both the lack of remaining ancient structures, and the regularity of the layout of the town of San Nicolò D’Arcidano.